Friday, February 17, 2012

All in a Day's Work, PART 4

Callie took her place in the commercial lane at the bank, waiting patiently for her turn at the window. Her fingers drummed on the steering wheel to the beat of the music pouring from the stereo speakers. With the windows up she sang at the top of her lungs, grateful God didn’t care that she couldn’t carry a tune. She powered the window down as she finally pulled into the stall and smiled at the teller through the thick glass. “Hey, Sally.”
“Morning Callie. You’re running a little late this week, aren’t you?”
Callie tossed the bank bag containing the office deposit into the drawer. “Just a little. I took the day off yesterday, so I’m playing catch up today.”
Sally nodded in understanding. “No rest for the weary.” She took the moneybag out of the drawer. Both women were silent as the cash and checks were justified against the deposit slip. “Looks good Callie. Anything else I can do for you today?”
“Not unless you want to go buy my groceries.”
“Sorry, I’m afraid you’re on your own with that one.” Sally leaned forward to check for cars behind Callie. Finding the lane empty, she toggled the speaker back to life and held up two chocolate bars. “I need a little break, got a few minutes to visit?”
“I’ll sit here all day if you bribe me with chocolate.”
Sally laughed and sent one of the bars out in the drawer. “Has Dr. Rayburn got any open appointments next week?”
Callie’s nose wrinkled in concentration. “Oh, gee, I’m not sure. What’s up?”
Sally shrugged. “I don’t know. I’ve just been feeling a little off the last couple of weeks.” She leaned closer to the microphone and lowered her voice. “Female off…I think I need to see someone. My doctor retired a few months ago but I’ve heard good things about yours.”
“He’s the best.”
“I need to do something soon.” Sally held up the remains of her candy bar. “I can’t keep fixing it with chocolate.”
Callie glanced in her rearview mirror as another car pulled in line behind her. “Call me Monday morning. I’ll see what we have available.”
“Will do. Thanks Callie.”
Callie saluted her friend with her own half eaten treat. “Thank you.” She pulled her car out into the light Saturday traffic, fumbling for her cell phone when it rang.
“Hello.” She listened to her caller for a few seconds with a steadily growing frown.
“No, you’re fine. I can be there in just a few minutes. Just keep talking to her.” Callie disconnected the call, turned at the next corner, and headed in the opposite direction. The groceries would have to wait.
***I hope you're enjoying this visit into Callie's life. While you're here, please check out the sidebar tabs. There is a new offering on Karla's Coming Soon page, and an interview with Cathy West, along with a review of her book, Yesterday's Tomorrow. Leave a comment on any page and you'll be entered to win the book. If you had a good time in Garfield, please consider becoming a member of the site.***

2 comments:

  1. Can hardly wait for the book. Little tidbits only make me hungry for more. Looking forward to reading your books!!
    Brenda Selman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, left me hanging, now I have to keep reading...

    ReplyDelete