Friday, February 24, 2012

All in a Day's Work Part 5

Callie knocked on the door of the modest frame house. It was thrown open almost immediately. Jeff Rich stood in the entryway, blond hair sticking out at odd angles, shirt untucked and wrinkled, bare feet poking out from under frayed hem of his jeans.
“I’m so sorry, Ms. Stillman.” He ran his hands through his hair. “I just didn’t know what else to do.”
Callie stepped across the threshold and patted his arm. “Don’t worry about it, Jeff. I told you both to call me if you needed something. I meant it. Where is she?”
He motioned down the short hall. “Still locked in the nursery. I can hear her moving around, but she won’t answer me.”
She dropped her purse to the floor and nudged the door shut. “Tell me what happened.”
Jeff hooked his thumbs in his pockets and stared at his feet. “This has been the hardest week. I thought that looking at the nursery every time she walked down the hall was only making things worse. I told her I thought I should take down the baby bed.” His hands went back in his hair. “I swear I was only trying to make things easier on Missy, but… she just snapped. Started crying, told me I was glad our baby died.” Jeff looked up, barely controlled tears in his eyes. “That’s not true…”
“Of course it isn’t. I know that and so does Missy.” Callie gave him a gentle push towards the living room. “Go take a break. Let me see if I can get her to talk to me.”

***I hope you're enjoying this visit into Callie's life. While you're here, please check out the sidebar tabs. There is a new offering on Karla's Coming Soon page, and an interview with Cathy West, along with a review of her book, Yesterday's Tomorrow. And Pam has a new recipe to share. Leave a comment on any page and you'll be entered to win the book. If you had a good time in Garfield, please consider becoming a member of the site.***

2 comments:

  1. When I read this one, I just had to back track and read the others. Sooo sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these niblets are killing me! Wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete