Friday, April 6, 2012

On This Side of the Cross



On this Side of the Cross
Already I’ve heard a bunch of great points on this Good Friday—be obedient, give God your best, be mindful of what your sin costs—and each one is absolutely right. But I think one statement would encompass the rest.
Trust Him.
I’m not talking about salvation-trust. That’s the only step that’s vital to eternal life. But so many people trust God and stop there. After God sets them on a firm foundation, they sit their fannies down in that spot and refuse to move.
That’s not God’s plan.
Salvation is the first step on a long road that leads not just to eternal life, but to abundant life here on earth. As we take steps of faith, trusting God with everything, He leads us to amazing places and blesses us in ways we never imagined. Ephesians 3:20 says, “God is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think.” The question is: Do you believe that?
Do you believe God has good plans for you in your work? Are you trusting God with the people you love? With the irritating coworker and the ailing neighbor?
Are you trusting God with your parents? Your children? Your spouse?
Are you trusting God with yourself, your shortcomings and sins and fears?
When we don’t know what to do, trusting God means we wait and pray and believe He’ll guide us. When we do know what to do, trusting God means doing it, even when we’re terrified.
A few weeks ago, the unthinkable happened to a woman related to my pastor: she was assaulted at gunpoint in her own home. In her case, trusting God means knowing that He is still sovereign, and He has a purpose, even if she will never know what it is on this side of Heaven.
Trusting God is the opposite of worry. It’s the opposite of fear.
When Jesus told his followers not to worry in Matthew 6, I often wonder what they were thinking. I suspect some scoffed. “He doesn’t know my life, or he wouldn’t tell me not to worry.” I can understand that. Who was Jesus, anyway? A scraggly Hebrew from Galilee who performed a few miracles. Impressive, sure, but still…
But now we’re on the other side of the cross. Now we’ve seen the Son of God take on our sins. We’ve seen Him suffer and die for us, rescuing us from the punishment we so rightly deserve. We’ve seen His love and faithfulness and mercy. When this Jesus tells us “Don’t worry, I have a plan,” do we have any right to disbelieve him?
There can be no greater insult to Christ than to refuse to trust Him on this side of the cross.

Robin Patchen is a wife, mother and writer who has experienced God's grace is such abundance it can't help but overflow. 
###Robin is also my critique partner, worlds best grammer police, and my first guest blogger. Many thanks to her for being willing to write the Easter devotion for my blog.  
Don't leave just yet. Check out the offerings on the side bar. Terri still has a book up for review. PERIL by Suzanne Hartmann. There's an interview with Suzanne and a chance to win a signed copy of her book. Karla has 2 new books featured on her page. Submerged by Dani Pettrey and Deb Raney's After all. Leave a comment on any page and I'll register you to win a signed copy of Peril. If you enjoyed your visit, I'd love to have you join the blog as a follower.###

16 comments:

  1. Wow Robin what a great job. Not only well put but very insightful. Thanks for the Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kaye! Thanks for the comment. Great to hear from you. Glad you liked the post.

      Delete
  2. Robin - great devotion. It spoke to me in many ways. Funny how I trust Jesus with my salvation, but hold on to so many little things. Thanks for putting it into perspective! - Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's harder to trust Him with the little things than the big things sometimes. But He's in control of both. What a pleasure to be loved by God.

      Delete
  3. Robin, my word for this year is Trust. I loved your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never thought of a lack of trust being and insult, but to Someone who has never done anything to earn that lack of trust, and has given everything to earn our complete trust, I think it would be. Why we continue to act as though we can protect people better than he can is beyond me. Could we be control freaks?? Hmm. I think maybe we are! Great post Robin. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a new concept for me, too, this idea that my mistrust is an insult, an affront, to my Savior. But after all He's already done for me, from salvation to the grace of my everyday life, I have no right to fear. And frankly, life is more fun when you live it with faithful abandon! Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. Awesome post, Robin! Wow! I soooo needed to hear this today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great message! :) Robin is awesome, she is indeed a great Grammar Policwoman.

    There is no safer place than to be in the center of God's will, trusting Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy. And amen to that. "In the center of God's will, trusting Him." That's the best resting place ever.

      Delete
  7. Robin, this devotion was a confirmation to what the Lord gave me on March 22. Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." It's good to be reminded that trust extends beyond salvation. Thank you for a great devotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anita, That's one of my favorite verses. I find myself thinking of it a lot when my mind is far from "perfect peace." But God has it all under control. Thank God, because I surely do not!

      Delete
  8. Great post, Robin--thank you so much for sharing this. I've missed you since the ACFW conference last Sept.--you were such a sweetie and I've thought about you so much. And hello to Sharon too! I was so happy to meet such wonderful new friends at the conference (and Sharon--am so glad I've "discovered" your blog!). Easter blessings from Georgia, Patti Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Patti Jo, I've thought about you, too. It's great to hear from you. Will you be at ACFW this year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This ministered to me today...thank you.

    ReplyDelete