Thursday, April 19, 2012

Progressive Blog

 

Where would you go? Back or forward?


Some writer friends and I got together and thought it would be fun to do a progressive blog. We asked each other some questions and decided to share the answers on our blogs this week. My question?
If you could live in any time period in past or future what would it be and why?

Diana Lesire Brandmeyer.  ‎"I'd set my time machine to 1907 so I could learn about my grandmother as a child as well as learn family history.

Yvonne Blake.  The culture and excitement of the 1800's has always appealed to me. I could easily live with lanterns and buggies and such. It was a time of change and hope and adventure.

 Valerie Friesen Comer.  I love NOW. I really do. I love that my family has provided a strong make-do heritage and that I learned to garden, preserve food, and cook from scratch. While I know how to cook over an open fire, I'm thankful for my gas range. While candles and lanterns are gentle light, I'm thankful for bulbs that provide good task lighting. While visiting with my neighbors (who happen to be my son and daughter-in-law) over the garden fence is wonderful, I love the internet and keeping in touch with many friends and distant family. Hmm. Maybe it's obvious why I prefer writing contemporary books but with strong rural characters!

Linda McQuinn Carlblom.  Though I love all of the conveniences of today, I think I'd choose the 1800s. Though it requred a lot more work, it seems families were closer because of working together more. There was no electronics to distract people from each other. Faith was vital for most to survive. Neighbors were more neighborly. And the fashions were to die for!

Donna Winters.   I'm answering this as a time-travel question because I don't want to stay in the past very long. I have no difficulty deciding the exact time and place I want to visit. The World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago. My friend and I even decided we would go there together on the Columbia (a Great Lakes steamer that brought many tourists to the exposition). I'd go on the Ferris Wheel and visit the Midway and see all the state exhibits.

Sharon Hoover.  I'd love to go to the Renaissance time period ... about the 16th-17th century. Fascinating explorations and inventions! I'd like to take my air conditioner, though. Oh wait... no place to plug in. **sigh**

Patty Sargent Wysong.  As much as I love the Pioneer days and early 1900s, I'd have to choose living in the future. Far enough into the future so that I could have a gizmo like Jane Jetson did in the cartoons I grew up watching. I hate cooking and it would be a dream come true to be able to push a button and have a meal roll out. And don't forget Rosie. I'd want a Rosie too even though cleaning is good think time for me.

Joanne Sher.  That's HARD! Part of me wants to travel to the 1st century, if only to meet Jesus, John, Paul, Peter, etc., "face to face." But I could NEVER do all they had to (and it's not like i'd have much opportunity to speak with them, with the mores about men and women back then). Maybe just a BIT back? Like the 1950s? Families were more solid, I think. Or how about just staying here? I'm good here. :)

Janet Sketchley.  The way the future's shaping up, I don't want to jump ahead. Don't want to go backward either, because I'm spoiled by our conveniences. Guess I'm stuck! Plenty of places/times I'd like to visit in the past, though.


Kristi Peifer.  I would only do the time jumping thing if I knew I could come back and live in the present. I wouldn't want to live in another timeline. That being said, I do have things in both the past and the future I'd like to see. The past would be going back a few generations in the family to unravel a family mystery that has me perplexed. The future would be going to a time where they have found a cure for autism.
Christina Rich.  Wow, this one is very hard for me. I want to visit so many and everytime I research an era I want to go, but if I had to chose just one it'd be . . . . Yeah, it's like Pringles I can't just chose one. *g*

Audra Christensen Silva.  I'd travel through time, and live in different places at different times staying long enough to get a good solid feel for that particular time and place. So a little bit of Renaissance, followed by some Georgian, Regency, Victorian, and Edwardian. Then a taste of Colonial US and some Frontier/Western adventures. Yeah, I'd skip all over time, and all over the planet. A little Ireland, Scotland, Italy...can you tell I grew up a Navy brat, love history, and love to travel?
Wow, what a wide range of answers.  Me...I'd have to go forward.  The answers are out there!!

Now, before you hop off to check out the rest of the questions and answers, tell me...Where would you go if you had the chance?
Here's the link to check out the rest of the questions and answers. I think you'll enjoy what we all had to say.
http://www.linkytools.com/thumbnail_linky_include.aspx?id=141281


Don’t leave just yet. Check out the offerings on the side bar. Karla has two new books featured on her page. Lacy Williams new book The Homesteader's Sweetheart and Lorna Seilstad's The Ride of Her Life. Pam has a whole list of recipies for you too. Stop by and check them out.

16 comments:

  1. Mid 1800's Arizona. If I'd grown up then, I wouldn't KNOW about modern conveniences. And I would have lived when AZ had not been criss-crossed with freeways and I would have gotten to see the rivers run and not just dry riverbeds. Life was very hard and survival was tough, but I think I would still prefer to the rather artificial life we live now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to always think I was born a generation too late. My outlook on life and character make-up are definitely at least a generation behind.

    But I've since learned that I am where I am and when I am because it's where God put me. That's good enough for me.

    If given the choice though, I'd go forward, to that instant after the eye blink, when time ceases....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I went backwards, it would be to Merlin and Arthors time.

      Delete
  3. I'd choose the present or the late 1800s. I also think the turn of the century (early 1900s)would be neat too! Wow, can you tell I'm totally undecided! I love the present day conveniences, but there is something about those days past...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back always seems better.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for hosting such a fun question, Sharon. I had fun reading all the answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've all had fun. We'll need to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers from everyone. I think it'd be neat to experience so many things. I'd love to stand on the shores of Donegal knowing it'd be the last time I felt the ocean spray on my face in that exact spot. I'd love to sail across the Atlantic on a masted ship. Drive a car or fly a plane when they were first invented. Mine for gold. Live in a castle and watch jousting events. The list goes on and on.

    Thanks for posing a great question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I've panned for gold in North Carolina. It was an awesome thing!

      Delete
  7. Krisiti is so right--I'd NEED to know I could return to NOW. I'm rather fond of it since my family is HERE. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was never intended to be a continuous living arrangment, just a trip.

      Delete
  8. I'd like to be able to go back to Jesus' time. Wouldn't it be incredible to actually go to hear the Sermon on the Mount? But then, I'd like to have the ability to return to the here-and-now. I like the age we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, there is much I'd like to see and do, but I like it here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon,
    Interesting question! I agree with the comment made by "volunteerfringe." The same thing came to my mind when I read your fun post. Even though I'm thankful for the time period God placed me in, I would love to visit the time when Jesus walked this earth!
    Blessings,
    Danielle
    www.journeytowardsmaturity.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i do love reading about the regency period but would not like to visit if not without freedom and benefits of nobility !

    ReplyDelete