Friday, May 4, 2012

May 5th


The last fingers of twilight reached their glowing red fire toward the gathering darkness. Callie stood on the balcony of the rented beach cabana and savored the sunset. They were scheduled to fly home tomorrow morning. She needed to pack, but couldn’t seem to find the motivation. This week in Cozumel with Benton had been as close to perfect as a vacation could be.
They had snorkeled reefs, prowled through stalls in the market places, ridden horses through the surf on the beach, explored ancient ruins, and enjoyed more Mexican food in a week than they normally had in two years time.
Callie leaned her elbows on the porch rail, and stared at the surf, determined to stay right here till darkness leached all of the blue out of the water. The sliding door behind her opened. She didn’t turn, knowing it could be only one person.
Benton stepped to her side and mirrored her pose. “Am I going to have to hogtie you to get you on the plane in the morning?”
She took in a deep breath of the ocean air and leaned against him. “Possibly.”
He slipped an arm around her and dropped a kiss on her head. “Thanks.”
Callie tilted her head just enough to look into her husband’s eyes. “For…?”
“For keeping after me till I took this trip with you. It’s been an amazing week.”
“I’d tell you I told you so, but I don’t want to ruin our last night.”
He laughed, straightened, and took her hand. “Take a walk with me. I’ll help you pack when we get back.”
Callie stepped out of her sandals and allowed her husband to draw her down the five steps to the sand. Yep, just about perfect.


***Thanks for visiting, but don't leave just yet. There are lots more things to see on the side bar. Terri has a new interview with Dora Hiers and a chance to win her new book, Journey's Edge. Pam has a new recipe, Callie posted a new devotion, and stop by Karla's page to meet authors Carol Cox and Anne Miller and preview their upcoming releases. A comment on any page will register you to win Dora's book. If you're new to the site, I invite you to become a follower. The women, and I, would love to have you.***

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it. Cozumel is my favorite place on earth.

      Delete
  2. Loved this! Reeled me right in and I just have to know how the walk was and if they decided to not get on that plane! :)

    Gailya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stoping by. I've entered yo for the book.
      Sharon

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the teaser. Please enter me into a chance to win the book. It sound great. I can't wait to read it. God bless you.

    Glenda Parker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda, You've been entered for the book, but it isn't the story on this page. It is Journey's Edge by Dora Hiers on Terri's page.
    But, I'm glad you liked my story snip.
    Sharon Srock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, it's as if I'm right there with Callie. And, taking that walk, yep, my heart skipped a beat! Good writing! Karen Utter Jennings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, Glad you enjoyed my little story snip. I've registered you for the book.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the vicarious vacation, Sharon. I feel the sand between my toes! Lovely. Dana McNeely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, thanks for stopping by. I've entered you for the book.
      Sharon

      Delete
  7. Love the post, Sharon!

    I've already got Journey's Edge - great story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, Thanks for stopping by, just the same!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete