Friday, May 11, 2012

Motherhood from somewhere in the Middle

Meet my mom, she’s been in Heaven for 15 years and I still think about her every day. As Mother's day approaches, I want to share and amusing story about this  amazing woman.

Amazing yes, but she had a hobby that bloomed out of control, right into obsession. She picked up aluminum cans. She didn’t do this to be “green”, she didn’t have a specific problem with litter. She did it so she could make her husband turn them in for the few pennies a bag that they were worth.
Both of my daughters and I have been the victim of a spur of the minute swerve to the shoulder of the road and a command, daylight or dark, sunny or rainy, cold or hot, to “Hop out and pick up that can.” 
Do you remember the scene in “Independence Day” where Jeff Goldblum’s character is fishing cans out of the office trash and muttering. Multiply that by ten and you have my mom. Throwing cans away was a capital offense, one that she would remind you of over many future visits. “Be sure to put that can in the bag by the back door. I found three in the trash after you left last time.
Summer 1990. Mom and I took my two daughters to Six Flags Over Texas. We drove Mom’s van and drank plenty of sodas along the way. Mom had a brown paper bag in the van and her command, as always was, “Put your empty can in that bag.”
Our plan was to visit the park for two days. This would require two nights stay at a local motel. Mom’s cans were locked safely away in the van, but the girls managed to toss back a few sodas before they went to bed each night. As ordered those cans were dutifully crushed and placed in to a used fast food bag.
The second morning, as we were preparing to leave, Mom began to look for this bag. Couldn’t find it. We were mobilized to look under beds, behind furniture, Heaven forbid—in all the room’s trash cans. No sack. Mom’s conclusion—The cleaning staff had “stolen” her cans. Remember. A number of squished cans in a crumpled brown bag. If you were a part of the cleaning staff, what would you think?
No amount of logic could convince my mother of anything short of theft. Forget that there was undisturbed luggage in the room with much more valuable contents than a few empty cans. She was determined to have justice. She intended to report the theft to the manager.  My daughters were mortified. They begged, they pleaded, they offered to run across to the convenience store, purchase a six pack of soda and drink them on the spot to replace the missing cans. Nothing was good enough for my mom. I’ll never forget the experience of hiding in the van with my daughters as she marched to the manager’s office to submit her complaint. I’ll never forget her anger at being told there was nothing the staff could do to replace her “loss”.
Oh, I miss those days and I miss my Mom.
I want you to meet two other mothers. These are my daughters. Amber (in the brown), Tammi (in the red) between them they have 13 children, yes, that's THIRTEEN. If I thought I had it tough raising them, all I have to do is look at that number to be reminded that when it comes to motherhood, I'm still a rookie when compared to them.

They too, are amazing women. They work, they handle emergencies, they maintain their homes, and love their kids and husbands.


And they make me laugh. I could tell you a lot of funny stories about these two, but I'll let this picture speak it's own thousand words.

So, Here I stand, right in the middle of motherhood with a loving example behind me and amaze-me-on-a-daily-basis examples in front of me and I wonder what I did to earn such blessings.

I think of my mother every day and wish I could tell her, one more time how much I love her. I look at my daughters and hope they always know that I love them more every day.

Sometimes being in the middle isn't such a bad thing.

Do you have a Mother's day story to share? Feel free to leave it in the comments below.


***Thanks for visiting, but don't leave just yet. There are lots more things to see on the side bar. Terri has an interview with Dora Hiers and a chance to win her new book, Journey's Edge. You’ll also find the details of the Take Flight Bloggers blog hop. This month we are featuring lots of books and authors for you to explore. Pam has a list of recipies, Callie posted a new devotion, and stop by Karla's page to meet authors Nikki Arana and Mary Urban and preview their upcoming releases. A comment on any page will register you to win Dora's book. If you're new to the site, I invite you to become a follower. The women, and I, would love to have you.***

10 comments:

  1. That was a beautiful tribute by a simply beautiful lady. Happy Mother's Day to my travel buddy!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. The women love it when they have "company"! I've registered you for the book!
      Sharon

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful post, Sharon. My family is making its way through our first year without Dad. Mom is still with us, and we're looking forward to lifting her up this Mother's Day. Keep those golden memories, and enoy making the new ones - God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Marianne. I've entered you for the book give away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, sweet testimony to your mom & daughters... you've put the sparkle in this day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, thanks for visiting. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've entered your name in the book drawing.
      Sharon

      Delete
  5. Aww! I LOVE IT! Happy Mothers Day I Love You!!!! I had forgotten all about the six flags trip until now. That WAS a mess for sure. I loved the story it was beautiful. Love You! Now Enter me for the book! You will be suprised to know I have been reading a little. Love ya!!!! I don't Know how to select a profile or what ever so I guess this is going in as anonymous. Love Tammi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammi, You are reading a book???? Maybe I didn't fail you after all.
      You're name is in the drawing.
      Sharon (MOM)

      Delete
  6. I'm a follower now! THIRTEEN kids between your two daughters??? Wow! You do have some amazing moms in your family.

    Blessings and Aloha! --Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I've registered you for Dora's book as well.
      Sharon

      Delete