Friday, July 6, 2012

Terri's favorite guy



Terri stepped out onto her back porch, snugged a fuzzy purple throw around her shoulders with one hand, and lifted a steaming mug of hot chocolate to her lips with the other. Forty degrees and four in the morning, at least it was Saturday. When she got to heaven Terri planned to have a talk with God about His timing. She looked up at the night sky. Stars glowed in the moonless, cloudless expanse like diamonds against velvet. Velvet shaded somewhere between black and navy. A perfect night for a celestial show. Light and movement caught her eye. There! A single meteor streaked to earth, disappearing below the tree line.
Her eyes drifted shut and she found herself transported to a time twenty years in her past.
Daddy had pulled her out of bed with a finger to his lips. “Come with me. I want to show you something.”
“What…?”
“You’ll see. Don’t wake Mom.”
Now, he knelt beside her on the sofa, Mom would have a fit if she saw their knees in the cushions, as hundreds of lights streaked the night sky outside the big picture window in a display bigger than any summer fireworks show.
“It looks like a space movie. What are they?” Terri asked.
“Meteors.” Dad must have found her puzzled look at the unfamiliar word funny. Terri remembered his rich laugh, and warmth of his arm around her waist. “Little pieces of space junk. Rocks mostly, that get caught in earth’s gravity and burn up in the atmosphere. I heard on the news earlier that tonight’s shower promised to be spectacular. I wanted to share it with my best girl.”
A cold breeze lifted the hair from her neck and stirred Terri from her memories. Oh, Daddy I miss you. She sat in her deck chair and leaned it back as far as it would go. The show picked up speed as she tucked the throw around her legs. Terri raised her mug to the sky in a silent salute, her sigh echoed sadness into the darkness.
“I heard on the news that tonight’s show promised to be a good one. I wanted to share it with my favorite guy.”

***Don’t run off. The whole blog is new tonight. Someday I might get back on schedule, but in the meantime, take a few minutes to visit the page tabs to your right. Pam posted a recipe for a yummy new summer dessert. Karla has a new book on her Coming Soon page.Stop by for a vist with Naomi Musch and get a sneak peek at her newest book, The Black Rose, Empire in Pine Book ThreeCallie posted a new devotion, and Terri has a very special surprise for all. She has an interview with Ann Miller. Ann talks about her new book, KICKING ETERNITY.  Anyone who leaves a comment with an e-mail address in the body of the comment will receive a free e-book copy of Kicking Eternity. Those who don’t want to leave an e-mail may contact Ann for their free book at AnnLeeMiller.com. What a deal! Remember, I welcome your comment on any page of the blog, but to qualify for this offer, you must comment on the interview.***

10 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. It brought me peace. Blessings on your endeavors for Christ.

    Chana Keefer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chana, thanks for stopping by and your kind words, I hope you plan to visit again.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit. I hop you'll stop by again soon.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Sharon..the memories we have made with the first guy loves of our lives, our dads. i too, have many memories, and i miss him so much, even after over 22 years. Thanks for bringing me this piece today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne, thanks for visiting. My dad showed me my first meteor shower and pointed out the big dipper. I've been a space geek ever since!

      Delete
  4. I found this really touching. I'm lucky--my dad is still with me. He lives across the country, but he's never too busy to chat on the phone with me. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, after what you posted on my blog I ran over here to read this. I get it. Hugs. That was heartbreaking and I have tears to prove it.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, That meteor shower is a treasured memory.

      Delete