Friday, January 18, 2013

Yesterday's Star Trek fan



I have a confession to make. I am an unapologetic Trekkie.



This is me being an unapologetic Trekkie.



I don’t wear the uniform much these days, except for the occasional Halloween function, and it’s been years since I attended a convention, but I have current proof that Spock is still alive and well in my Trekkie soul.

How? One morning last week, while doing my hair for work at 6AM, I was struck, out of the blue, by a Star Trek moment.

Before I share this moment with you, I must share a memory with you.
During the mid 80s, my sister and I attended the funeral of our first Sunday school teacher. I wish I had a picture of Mrs. Drumwright to add to this post, but the only picture I have is a collage buried in my memory. Pictures of a small Sunday school classroom, in a small wood frame church. My sister and me, on our knees in front of child sized chairs, saying prayers, and later in the same pose using the chairs as a desk while we colored our lesson papers. I especially remember Mrs. Drumwright’s homemade sugar cookies, enjoyed at the end of that class.

She was 99 years old when she died, her birthday in the late 1800s. I remember driving to that funeral with my sister, marveling at such a long life and thinking about the progress she saw in her lifetime. TV, movies, microwaves, electricity, cars, air travel, spaceflight… Things common in her latter days that surely seemed like science fiction when she was a teenager.

Now back to my Star Trek Moment. I think the thing that appealed most to me most about the show, aside from Spock, was the technology. They had computers, not just computers, but COMPUTERS! Computers that listened when you spoke and hurried to do your bidding. Computers able to answer a question on any topic you chose. 

We are SO there. 

They had video screens that allowed you to talk, face-to-face, with someone clear across the galaxy. Can you say SKIPE? Pure science fiction in my childhood, commonplace today.

They didn't read print books much. They had little disks that you slipped into the computer.  We jumped right over the computer option and straight to whole electronic librarys small enough to fit in your purse.

The technological marvel that caused my moment? My iPhone. Capt Kirk and crew had two things they never left the ship without. A communicator and a Tricorder.

The function of the communicator is pretty self explanatory, but just in case you never saw the show…A Tricorder was a little gadget about the size of a cereal box that told the away team about their surroundings, provided weather conditions, analyzed information, and gave you directions from point A to point B.  It gave them info on the landscape and natives. If you had a Tricorder, you couldn’t get too lost. 
They had these:


We have this:

We have surpassed the Star Trek of my youth. Bring on the food replicators and the transporters!!

What "futuristic" gadget would you like to see become a reality.





***Don't you just love the new look of the blog? I think you'll find that it's a lot less cluttered and easier to navigate. So while you're here, Please take a few minutes to visit the tabs at the top of the page. Terri has an interview with Elizabeth Baker. Elizabeth is here to talk about her new book, JaKobe's Assignment. Be sure to read the whole article. Elizabeth has some amazing freebies for you. Karla welcomes Jeanette Windle and Anne Greene to her page for a sneak peak at their upcoming releases. Callie has a special devotion prepared for us by Cheri Swalwell. Pam just posted a yummy (and gluten free) recipe for Fried Chicken Rollups.***

10 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Trekkie too. Did you know that the Vulcan salute comes from Numbers? It's the priestly blessing - Leonard Nimoy is Jewish by birth.
    And live long and prosper is Deut 5v33 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I knew that. If you've never read it, I Am Not Spock, by Leonard Nimoy is very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really like to be issued a phaser permanently set on stun. That's the device I'm waiting for. I'll put it to good use. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times that would come in very handy!!

      Delete
  4. Love the uni! I always find a teachable Star Trek moment in nearly all aspects of life. Gene Roddenberry was...well...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, I was the first person in my 3rd grade who could do a Vulcan salute. Did you know that Star Trek influenced a Motorola engineer who watch the communicators and started thinking, "There should be away to do that..." The eventual result was the cell phone. (The old flip phones even looked like communicators.) Later, when Data ordered his computer to play music (which no computer could do back then), another engineer began pondering how to make that possible. Now people can even download songs for computers and other devices to play. Since the days of Jules Verne, fiction has been inspiring creative minds!

    Live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick, I've always loved the intersection of what we can dream and the reality we can make.
      Peace and long life.

      Delete
  6. YAY FOR STAR TREK!!! I love the original, but my first love was Next Generation since that's what I grew up on.
    I would love for Beverly Crusher's medical technology to come on the scene. Got a cut or burn? here let me just wave this wand over it and POOF! healed. People weren't invincible, but Dr. Crusher had medical knowledge and technology far outweighing today. Bring it on!
    Thanks for the fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Till then, I guess we'll make due with "stone knives and bear skins."

      Delete